I’ve been using a ProLite Dual Lamp for about 6 months and I wanted to use it for this long to get a good feel for the lamp. I know many fly tyers who use these lamps and wondered where they purchased them. Surprisingly, I’ve found that Rite Bobbin sells them directly from their website. I really have enjoyed using mine and like the fact that I don’t have to worry about changing bulbs. The one thing I had to get used to at first was the light coverage. These are strong lights that produce plenty of light, but it is direct light. Meaning, it shines directly on your subject. If you are accustomed to a normal lamp which spreads the light out, then it will take you a short time to adjust. By using the dual lamp, I can angle each of the lights on each side of the fly I’m tying and it gives me all the light I need even if the rest of the room is pitch black. This is the only thing that stood out for me when adjusting to the new light. Everything about the lamp is in in good quality and I have found no problematic issues at all. See below to see the specifications and visit the Rite Bobbin site for pricing.
Basic lamp description:
- LED bulbs (100,000 hours, plenty of illumination and no heat)
- pure white light
- C-Clamp for bench or table mount
- Post Mount capability (great for traveling)
- Heavy Base with tray (4 lbs)
- Single lamp + magnifier combination.
- Dual lamp configuration also offered. This is my personal favorite, I orient the lamps in a “V” at about 10:00 and 2:00 o’clock and the fly is never shaded by my hands. AND, I( can look through the “V” and watch the ballgame! 🙂
These lamps were originally designed as circuit board inspection lamps and the fly tying modifications were added by the company president, an avid fly tyer.